BOUNTIFUL -- It took only a few minutes for the city council to spend more than $600,000 on a variety of machinery and parts for the city's street and sanitation department.
The city council approved seven purchases for the street and sanitation department Tuesday totaling $602,051.
The quick purchases all involved Gary Blowers, director of streets and sanitation and the person with oversight for the Bountiful landfill. Blowers attempts to lock in the best rates possible, purchasing desired equipment early into the new fiscal year. The city's fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.
Approved purchases were:
* $72,807 for a backhoe loader for the landfill.
* 3/4-ton pickup for the landfill department for $22,029.
* $118,446 for a garbage truck cap and chassis.
* Automated garbage truck body for $104,029.
* Two 10-wheel trucks for $219,372.
* New 4 x 4 for the street department for $23,597.
* Asphalt compactor roller for $41,771.
Bountiful is the only community with its own landfill in Davis County.