They say we never forget our high school days.
You've got three years to cram in all the memorable moments you can, from school dances to football games to those midnight pizza runs with your friends.
We'd like you to share the high school experience with the readers of the Standard-Examiner by becoming part of our TX. section. We need students who can write stories, shoot videos, take photographs or draw illustrations for TX. online and in print during the 2012-2013 school year.
Here's your chance to sound off on the latest hot topic involving teens or rave about your favorite concert, film or date night. This is what you need to know to apply to join TX.
All TX. staffers must be
* Sophomores, juniors or seniors, ages 15-18.
* Residents of Davis, Weber, Box Elder or Morgan counties.
* Able to attend staff meetings at the Standard-Examiner at 4 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
* Able to meet deadlines.
Every applicant must send:
1. Name, address, phone number, email address, high school, age and grade attending this fall.
2. An essay, in 200 to 400 words, explaining why you want to do the job. Tell us why you'll be the best-ever photographer, school correspondent, concert reviewer, etc.
3. A statement from parent(s) or guardian for permission to work for TX. (if you are under 18).
Please also send these additional items for the type of work you are interested in. You may apply for more than one position.
1. One sample TX. article -- a new, original story that you'd like to write for the section.
2. One more sample of your writing, either a second TX. sample story, or an article from a school newspaper or a school writing assignment from any class. DO NOT send poetry.
Sophomores begin as interviewers, collecting quotes and comments from local teens so that TX. can cover as many schools as possible. They may also write their own TX. articles.
1. List of experience you've had taking photos or shooting videos -- or tell us why you are willing to learn.
2. Five ideas of events you could cover at your school during the coming year.
3. Examples of or links to multimedia content you have created (i.e. Web pages, podcasts, videos, etc.), if available.
1. One sample review of a concert you have attended or would like to attend (in other words, invent a concert experience). A review of a film or CD may also be substituted.
1. Applicants will be personally interviewed; plan to bring in a portfolio of your work and camera equipment (digital cameras are preferred). We will call to set up an interview. Applicants may send photo samples with applications, but that work will not be returned.
1. Send two color samples (samples will not be returned) with applications. Teen-oriented illustrations will catch our attention. Finalists will be notified by phone and may be asked to do a sample assignment or come in for an interview with a portfolio of their work.
All work done for the TX. staff is voluntary. Mail your application and other items specified to:
TX. -- Becky Cairns
P.O. Box 12790
Ogden, UT 84412-2790
Applications must be postmarked or turned in at our office by July 20. Students who are selected will begin attending staff meetings in September.