OGDEN — The first term of Mount Ogden Junior High’s community school was a huge success, so organizers are expanding offerings for the term that begins Tuesday.
“It’s what I was hoping for,” said Debbie Daniel, YMCA Community School coordinator.
The Computers 101 class drew the biggest crowd, with students ranging from age 41 to 86, she said. Daniel is adding a second session.
A Polynesian dance class was also a hit, so this session will also offer a Zumba dance/exercise class and a Capoeira class, based on a Brazilian martial art that incorporates music and elements of dance.
The courses cost $5 for four weekly sessions and are open to all. Daniel said she was pleased to see many people who had no connection to Mount Ogden Junior High, which means they understood the classes are open to everyone.
With five extra courses and with the school’s early momentum, Daniel is hoping to at least double the number of students. Forty-one adults and families signed up for the first session, she said.
Families can register for courses for a group rate of $15. Tuesday courses are taught this Tuesday, April 17 and 25, and May 1. Registration will be held from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. this Tuesday.
• Zumba, 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements, and uses choreography from hip-hop, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts and some belly dance moves.
• Computers 101, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. Basic skills taught include saving and opening files, Internet basics and how to navigate basic programs. Bring your own flash drive or you may purchase one in the class for $5.
• Sewing & Quilting for Beginners, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. Learn beginning quilt-making skills and create a pieced quilt top. Participants will need to bring their own fabric, pattern, batting, thread and pins.
• Creative Writing Group, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Learn to express yourself in written form.
• Cake Creation, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. Learn to make cake pops and themed cakes with fondant.
• Gentle and Restorative Yoga, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. All levels welcome.
Thursday courses are taught this Thursday, April 19 and 28, and May 3. Registration will be held from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday.
• Computers 101, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays.
• Stretch Your Buck Without Breaking Your Back, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays. For more information on this and related financial classes, visit www.uidan.org or call 877-787-0727.
• Families in the Kitchen, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays. Budgeting and cooking class, with families members encouraged to attend together.
• Capoeira: Brazilian Martial Arts, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays. It’s a Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, music and dance. Geared for beginners.
For more information, contact Debbie Daniel at 801-436-7182 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.