OGDEN -- The city is continuing to negotiate with a Holladay company for the construction of housing and retail businesses within the long awaited mixed-use Riverbend development formerly known as the Ogden River Project.
Millrock Development LLC is working with Gadi Leshem -- whose firm, Ogden Riverfront Development, is the main owner of Riverbend property -- to be the major partner in the project, said Jonny Ballard, the city's community development manager.
Neither Steve Peterson, a managing partner for Millrock, nor Leshem could be reached for comment Thursday regarding the Riverbend project.
The entire Riverbend area encompasses about 60 acres straddling the river from 18th to 20th streets and Washington Boulevard to Wall Avenue.
Ballard said the city has had recent discussions with Peterson and Leshem about the scope of Millrock's proposal. Among the topics of negotiations is the retail component that might be built along 20th Street in the project area, said Ballard.
Other issues involve infrastructure, such as roads and utilities, parking and the density of townhomes and apartments within the development, Ballard said. The city's master plan for the project requires that no more than 60 percent of any one housing type be constructed in a block within the development.
Ballard is hopeful the city can obtain a memorandum of understanding by the end of the year with Millrock to begin work on the project.
"If something doesn't happen by the end of the year, it could be on the table for a while," he said.
Work already has started on The Meadows at Riverbend housing project, on about 6.1 acres, being built by SouthRiver LLC., based in Salt Lake City.
The project includes the construction of 69 townhomes on about 4 acres. Built on the remaining 2.1 acres will be 125 apartment units and 25,000 square feet of retail space. The entire project is slated to be completed by the end of 2014.
Riverbend project timeline
• August 2002: The Ogden Redevelopment Agency approves creation of the Ogden River Redevelopment Project area consisting of about 60 acres between Washington Boulevard and Wall Avenue and 18th and 20th streets.
• June 2006: City and RDA purchases, subdivides and improves about 11 acres within the project area known as the Ogden River Drive Subdivision.
• December 2010: RDA contracts with Urban Design Associates to develop a master plan for the entire Ogden River Redevelopment Project Area.
• August 2010: The RDA receives an offer from SouthRiver LLC to acquire property in the river project area.
• April 2011: Millrock Development LLC obtains a letter of understanding from Ogden Riverfront Development to be a major partner in developing most of the river project.
• July 2011: The RDA agrees to incrementally convey 6.17 acres to SouthRiver for the construction of 69 townhomes, 125 apartments and 25,000 square feet of retail space.
• November 2011: The RDA continues to negotiate with Millrock Development for the project renamed Riverbend.
See what the Weber County Forum says: http://wcforum.blogspot.com/2011/11/standard-examiner-riverbend-project-not.html